Saturday, October 23, 2010

Jehovah's Witnesses, Peeing in Public, Yardsale



I decided to do one last yardsale at the fairgrounds for the year ($10 space rental). Sorry I don't have a "before" picture but here's an "after" shot. And I use that 4 shelf plastic thing to display stuff on (it's not for sale). I sold a lot of stuff cheap today and made about $200. One of my last customers was a nice lady who told me how she is new to the area yadda yadda so I talked with her a while. Then she handed me a Jehovah's Witness pamphlet "Awake! Unemployed? How You Can Live on Less". Here's one of their cutting edge money saving tips - "Stock up on items that are on sale or in season." Wow - I would never have thought of that. Puhleese.

I sold a huge Corelle covered casserole dish that I received as a wedding shower present many moons ago - that will free up a big portion of a kitchen cabinet. I used it occasionally (maybe like once every 2 years???) but really I can easily live without it. I should go thru my entire kitchen and get rid of a lot of stuff. Since it's only the 3 of us, I generally don't cook large portions of food. And if I need to bring a covered dish somewhere, I'll be bringing my tortilla roll-ups or something else that is easy to make. Not something in a huge Corelle dish.

Then once I closed up shop, I walked around to see some of the other sellers that I hadn't had a chance to shop at. One woman shopper was oblivious to her young son peeing about a foot away from some other seller's table. And the seller didn't see it either. It was like the boy had done it a million times before and didn't see anything wrong with peeing in public.

Looking forward to next Saturday - no trips planned and not having another yardsale. I want to shop! I am going to go thru my yardsale leftovers and will donate a bunch of good usable items to my thrift. Some stuff I am keeping (like brand new toys) since if our Parks & Recs has an indoor yardsale in December, that sort of stuff would be good to sell.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

As a 15 year zealous person for Jehovah (and elder) here is my story!
http://exjehovahswitnessforum.yuku.com/topic/922

Chris the Yardsale Queen said...

you people never stop. At least you have a correct URL - YUKU is perfect!

boooorrrrrrrinnnnnngggggggg!

Mike said...

How many more weeks do you think we have on the East Coast before the fall yardsale season tapers off? Do you look for sales even in the dead of winter (indoor, of course)?

Chris the Yardsale Queen said...

Mike - I think I can find yardsales probably until Thanksgiving weekend. Then there is usually an indoor Parks & Recs yardsale in December. No indoor yardsales here in the winter. But I always have my thrift stores.