Friday, August 22, 2008

Using Double and Triple Coupons at Grocery Store



Today was my big grocery shopping trip that I had been planning for. Here is everything I bought - and the total was $177.23 (If you click on the pic above, you can see a larger picture of my stuff.) I am not the kind of grocery shopper that gets a full cart load every week. So it was a little strange to push a full cart around and see my total go over $50. Really....I go grocery shopping a lot but since I am always stocking up on things, my total is rarely over $30 or $40. I normally just see what the best sales are for the week and make sure I don't run out of diet pepsi.

So I did buy some things I normally wouldn't have bought if I didn't have coupons, but I did show some restraint and didn't buy some goodies that were tempting to buy even though with coupons I would have gotten it cheap (example: small packages of Dove ice cream was $3.33 and I had some $1 coupons for it which would have been doubled so it would have been $1.33 each.) But I know I bought regular gallon sized containers of Breyer's ice cream for $1.99 (on sale) yesterday - so I skipped the Dove ice cream.

And I could have bought more stuff, but the grocery store didn't have some brands that I had coupons for. I could have gotten containers of sour cream but the store doesn't sell Friendship brand sour cream. Also had $1 coupons for Hot Pocket Panini's but that is a new product and they didn't have them either.

But what really irks me is that I made a rookie mistake. When I was setting up the picture above, I saw that I bought 5 packages of dog treats. Ugh. So that means for that 5th package I paid full price (gasp!) of $2.69 for it. You were limited to 4 of the same coupon. So I know I gave the cashier four $1.00 dog treat coupons (so after doubling, they were only .69 each). But I mis-counted when I was throwing them in the cart and bought that @#$%%^! fifth package. Oh well.

I bought so many Poptarts because Kelloggs has a $10 rebate when you buy 10 packages of Kelloggs products at one time. Plus I had coupons for the 'tarts.

As I said, the total was $177.23 and after coupons it was....drum roll please.... $63.58 plus I'll send in that $10 rebate from Kelloggs. But it would have been $60.89 if I knew how to count dog treat packages. Below is a pic of the receipt. I didn't mark on it since I have to mail it to Kelloggs for the rebate. Only thing that I didn't have a coupon for was the Wonder Kids bread ($2.49) and the Milk Duds - that were on clearance for .25 cuz of the squished box. And now that I think about it, my total would have been even less had I remembered to buy the Wonder Bread when I was at Walmart earlier in the day (they sell it for $2.17).


p.s. Yes, I know that is a sh*tload of Ballpark Franks but after coupons they were only .64 a package. I figure I can always give them to the Whiskey dog as a treat if I get tired of them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amazing! Amazing! Amazing! You inspire me to save more now.

Anonymous said...

I love to read your blog! Great deals and you make it seem so easy! But I just had to laugh at the caption of your pic about toes! Keep up the Good Work! You are an inspiration. Tina