Thursday, July 10, 2008

More Cheap Meat




I took this meat picture with my cellphone at the grocery store to show the difference in prices. All the hamburger patties that had a sell by date of 7/10/08 had a $2 off sticker on them. But some had a "special" price on them and some didn't. I checked and they all had the same "sell date" on them. That's why it's important to really look at stuff while shopping. I bought the packages of 8 patties that were on special for $5.31 and then took an addtional $2 off. For a total of $3.31 for 8 patties. I bought two packages of them - 16 patties for around $6.60 (there is no sales tax on food in Maryland). If someone wasn't paying attention, they could have easily grabbed the packages marked $10.61 and only gotten the $2 off.

If you can't see the prices in the picture above, just click on it and it will enlarge and open up into a new window.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Holy smokes! Your price per pound ($3.99) for hamburger is expensive in Maryland. Our 'regular' price here in Wisconsin is only $1.59 to $1.89 for the same grade (80% lean). You got a *steal* at $1.39/lb.

Anonymous said...

I had the same thing happen yesterday. Advertised price for some strip steaks was something like $5.75 for an 8oz piece of meat. I wasn't planning to buy. But in a separate frig case there were packages marked for the same price *per pound* with a special sticker on them. Use/freeze date well into the future, so not like it was old meat they were getting rid of. I bought 4 packages. Yeah me, and my lucky husband.

--Mary

Chris the Yardsale Queen said...

well I think they do charge for hamburger when its already formed into patties for you. I never pay full price for bulk hamburger. Giant is considered an "expensive" store in the neighborhood when compared to Food Lion (our other grocery store)

Chris the Yardsale Queen said...

oops, I meant to say I think they do charge MORE for hamburge when ....