Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Choosy and Cheap Mothers Choose Skippy



I'm trying to declutterize the kitchen pantry - but today I totally stocked up on Skippy peanut butter. The huge 26.5 oz jar of creamy Skippy were on close-out clearance for $2 each at Food Lion. I will swing by the other nearby Food Lion tomorrow and see if they have more of the regular creamy Skippy (not Naturals), since that is the kind I use for Jacob's PB&Js. So all the pb in the above pic came to $10 even.

I like feeding the backyard birds, and here's a recipe I use for making homemade bird suet.

Mix with hands (yes, it's messy):

* 1 cup peanut butter
* 1 cup Crisco shortening (or cheap generic kind)
* 1 cup flour
* 4 cups cornmeal

I form it into fat hamburger patty size shapes and place in suet feeders. Refrigerate leftovers.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

no coupons????

lee said...

my husband's mother always bought into the "choosy mothers choose jif", so when i bought skippy, he used to taunt me with little notes that said "skimpy mothers choose skippy".

by the way, my mother coined a new word to explain the joy you feel when you are able to coupon for free items and maybe even make a few cents: COUPONGASM!

when she told me that, i laughed so hard i almost peed myself.

my mother has alzheimer's and couponing is one of the ways she exercises her brain. she has to try to remember what she has a coupon for and then she uses calculator to figure the savings. i wish you would help put the word out that this might be a good thing for caregivers to keep in mind. it makes them feel useful, keeps the brain from getting too dull and allows the person to contribute in their own special way. my sister went from saving about 8% to around 35%! that's tax free money, baby! for a family of four accustomed to spending $100 a week, that's total of $1,820!

Chris the Yardsale Queen said...

Anonymous - nope didn't have any Skippy coupons.

Lee - Coupongasm is a perfect word to describe the thrill of the couponing experience. On coupon message boards they usually say they got an "overage". boring!

Anonymous said...

I do like your recipe-- I make concoctions from last nights grease etc and older items as well with pB or margarine or whatnot--even oils.....
and I aways sneak in some older things I wanna unload that is not going to be eaten but keeps other food company and takes up room-- say those stale snacks, yukky cookies no one wants, that older brown or 10x sugar, some older oatmeal etc--old cake mix....
all good and some old nuts no one will eat..purging food that takes up room and needs to go and it gets enjoyed .....