Monday, October 26, 2009

Perpetuating a Yardsale Myth

In yesterday's Parade magazine, there was an article about shopping, read the full article here

But what caught my eye was this:

Not a fan of this shopping expert Dr. Donald W. Black. I'm a compulsive shopping expert too (I have years and years of hands on experience) and I say that people with many resources quench their shopping addictions at garage sales too. The article is trying to perpetuate the myth that only poor people go yardsaling. While I acknowledge that a certain percentage of yardsale shoppers have few resources (that must be the politically correct way of saying "poor"), I would bet that many yardsale shoppers have mega resources BECAUSE they shop garage sale and aren't spending big bucks at the mall all the time.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

i totally agree! i almost only shop at thrift and consignment stores (i work weekends and our area isn't big on weekday yard sales) and we have a very healthy bank and savings account and considerable income. my husband applauds me all the time for buying secondhand. i like the idea of reusing and recycling almost as much as i like saving money.

Nicole said...

Its the thrill of the hunt for me, anyone can walk into a department store and buy something.

PocketChange said...

I agree with your assessment. While I could afford to shop more than I do at malls or other retail stores, I choose not to. I have been able to find almost everything I need for my family at yard sales or thrift stores ('almost everything I need' I said, and lots of 'everything I want', but at much lower prices!!!

Diana said...

I totally agree, too! We have a six-figure income and a very healthy savings account BECAUSE I shop second hand as much as possible--yard sales every weekend, thrift and consignment shops, and Freecycle.

the cheap chick said...

The best thing about thrift and consignment stores is that they are open to everyone! Rich, poor, it doesn't matter - all are welcome to reduce, reuse, recycle and get cool stuff for less money :)

Steph said...

I have just found your blog and am strolling thru the archives. I couldn't agree with your sentiments more about people with means garage sale shopping. I can afford to pay retail prices for some of the items I pick up at sales but why would I (or should I) when I can pick them up for a fraction of the price and leave the difference in the bank account. great blog, btw.