Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Bad Doggy and Bad Mommy



Today I went somewhere today that I hope to never go again. Here's a clue:



And here is Clue #2:




The blur with the pink tongue would be my Whiskey Dog. In the Animal Shelter. (Sorry for the bad pic.) We had a thunderstorm over the weekend and when that happens, he gets the itch (more than usual) to run away. (My husband, the nuke worker, thinks its because of the extra ions that are generated during a thunderstorm that affects him.) I assumed Whiskey went - as usual - to his other adopted family a few streets over. I meant to call them on Sunday to make sure he was there and I forgot. I was probably too busy spraying myself with Solarcaine to think of anything else. So I called on Monday and left a message on their answering machine. I didn't hear back, so I stopped by today and much to my surprise he wasn't there and they hadn't seen him since the last time he had gotten out.

And unfortunately, he wasn't wearing any ID. Just his collar. So today I called the animal shelter and they said they did pick up a dog fitting Whiskey's description. Luckily they were open to 6pm so after school, Jacob and I went (with Whiskey's paperwork since I needed to show proof of rabies vaccination and dog license) to get him.

I guess I am just naive, but I figured I would just need to walk in and say "I'm here for my little tan terrier mix dog" and a kind worker would go back to where they keep the dogs and then magically re-appear with Whiskey. Nope, that's not how it works. Jacob and I walked in and I said I was here for my dog, and they pointed me in the direction of the wing of the building where dogs are kept and they told me to go find him.

So I described my dog to a worker I saw in the hallway and he led me down the aisle of dogs. I didn't want to look at the dogs - so I mostly kept my head down and just followed the worker. We get to the end and he goes "Did you see your dog?" Huh??? Stupid me (again). I thought he was taking me to where Whiskey was. So back up the aisle of dogs and this time I looked and didn't see Whiskey.

Now I start to get worried. Maybe Whiskey is laying dead in a ditch somewhere. Then the worker says "Let's take a look down the Quarantined Aisle". The place where they keep the vicious dogs apparently. And maybe those who aren't available for adoption. (I won't name specific breeds, but there were some scary looking dogs there). And the worker told me to make sure I don't stick my fingers in any of the kennels. I had thought the dogs in the other wing of the building were barkers, but I was mistaken. Now these dogs were really barkers. Meanwhile Jacob is starting to freak out because of the noise, the smells, the whole dingyness of the building etc.

So there among the vicious and really loud barkers, was my naughty dog, not saying a peep. So after paying $44 and filling out the paperwork, he is back on the sofa getting a good nights sleep, after eating some rib-eye steak scraps. I told him this better be the last time he's in the slammer cuz for a $85 adoption fee, I can get myself a new, young, doesn't-like-to-run-away dog. From now on, if I see there is a chance of a thunderstorm, he's gonna be housebound.

p.s. His ID tag is back on and laminated.

p.s.s. I got some good clearance deals at Walgreens today. Will blog tomorrow.

p.s.s.s. I hope my post doesn't scare anyone away from visiting their local animal shelter to find an animal to love. I'm sure many of the dogs I saw today would make great pets. I just wish our animal shelter was more inviting and modern - not one that was built in the Stone Age. Whiskey was a stray.

p.s.s.s.s. Don't forget to spay and neuter your pets!

2 comments:

Robin said...

Aww, I'm sorry. My dog likes to run away too, and once we had to go to the other side of town to get him at the animal shelter. Since then he has become "chip dog" as my mom likes to call him. The chip was like $40 and goes between his shoulderblades. Supposedly any vet or animal shelter can read it. It makes me feel lbetter.

LucyDelRey said...

I'm so happy for you that you found your dog!!! Some people are not so lucky, unfortunately. I also agree with the other poster regarding the importance of the microchip. Worst case scenario: one's dog gets loose, collar is removed, and it ends up in a non-local animal shelter. The chances of dog returning are slim and a big possibility of euthansia. Kisses to your dog for its safe return!!!