Saturday, January 20, 2007

No Yardsales today (too cold)



No yardsales today - well there was one moving sale advertised but I didn't go. I figured all the vultures would be out early. Well I don't know about the vultures, but I know the hawks were definitely out - I took a picture of one in my backyard today. He/she was checking out the birds at my birdfeeders.

I have several birdfeeders in my backyard. I usually buy the "deer corn" for the squirrels in big 20 lb bags. That reminds me of a funny story - I was doing an interview last year for a newspaper and the interviewer asked me what I bought the last time I went "real" shopping at an actual shopping mall. I had to think a bit and then I told her - 20 lb bags of corn at a Dick's Sporting Goods. How sad is that! haha.

I also buy 50 lb bags of sunflower seeds from a hardware store and I make suet for the woodpeckers. Here's a recipe that I use:

Mix together using your hands the following(it's messy!)

4 cups cornmeal
1 cup flour
1 cup peanut butter (chunky or regular)
1 cup Crisco shortening (or generic)

Shape into patties and put into a suet feeder. Refrigerate leftovers.

If you don't have a suet feeder - you can use a plastic net (like the kind that is usually on a frozen turkey). Then just put the suet patties in that and tie it closed and hang (if you have squirrels in your area, they will get to it in about 2 seconds flat). Othewise you can also smear the suet right into the bark crevices of your trees. Or wait and buy a suet feeder at a yardsale for .50 and then make the suet.

No comments: